Mather Mansion at Cleveland State University
Backus Law School Building at Case Western Reserve University
Schweinfurth's Home at 1950 East 75th Street
Trinity Cathedral at East 22nd Street and Euclid Avenue
The Old Stone Church on Public Square
(Click here to see pictures of these buildings.)
Schweinfurth's masterpiece is Trinity Cathedral completed in 1905. The similarities between the Cathedral and Five Oaks are easy to see. Carved cherub heads and doors covered with Moroccan leather are common to both structures. A plaque in the Cathedral reads
Custodian of Five Oaks, an Historic Massillon Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places
"In loving memory of Charles Frederick Schweinfurth, Architect
and Builder of this Cathedral (1856 - 1919).
'For He shall give His angels charge over thee to keep
thee in all thy ways.'"
Charles F. Schweinfurth (1856-1919) of Cleveland designed Five Oaks as well as fifteen of the mansions on Euclid Avenue's Millionaire's Row. He demanded the highest quality materials and the finest workmanship. He showed great foresight in the design of his structures. Electricity as a source of lighting was just being introduced at the time Five Oaks was being built. Schweinfurth had the house wired throughout for electricity, but gas was still used for the chandeliers in the early days.
A founding member of the Cleveland chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Schweinfurth had a prolific and respected practice. As well as private residences, he designed churches, bridges and campus buildings. Although a great many of his structures have been demolished, several in Cleveland remain: